‘Ernie & Emma’ – Bruce Campbell Directed a Movie for the First Time in Almost 20 Years

I think his previous directing efforts probably weren't very good indicators of how talented he could be as a director, as they seemed very stifling – limited by what was expected of him given his public persona, relationship to Sam Raimi, the Evil Dead franchise and his place in the horror community. I like that with this one he seems to be stretching beyond supernatural horror comedy and characters like Ash. An indie dramedy could actually fit his sensibilities as a director better. We'll see. I'm at least curious.
 
Last edited:
Bruce Campbell can write, but outside of his directing a number of Hercules episodes and/or the Super 8 movies his work behind the camera leaves a lot to be desired. I like to say give the man a pen and 40 minutes, or less of screen time and watch magic be made.
 
Going to see if I can grab a screener for this one!
 
Here's the trailer!


Looks like a fun goofy romp, i can tell Bruce is having a ball with it. Love all the little references sprinkled through out the trailer as well.
 
Huh. It looks like Ernie needed for his wife to die in order to get himself do the stuff that… Bruce already does in his real life.

Definitely intrigued.
I was gonna say, this is Bruce's special interests: the movie.
 
I'm also glad that Bruce got Joe LoDuca on board. I wasn't sure if I even want to get into this topic, but I'm getting kinda tired of Sam's collaboration with Denny Elfman. His Send Help score is pretty meh, I think Joe (or even Christopher Young) would have done a much better job. It also just seems weird to me that Sam is still working with Elfman, not only because of their falling out after Spider-Man 2, but also because of all the allegations of Elfman being a sex pest.
 
BRUCE CAMPBELL talks Evil Dead Burn, Ernie & Emma & The Importance of Creative Freedom

Some highlights from the interview:
– Bruce wants to tour with Ernie & Emma in Europe, or at least in the UK, since it was so crucial in promoting the original Evil Dead. If he'd tour with the film in like Austria, Germany, or Poland, I'd definitely want to go. But with UK, I'm not sure if I'd be able to. We'll see.
– He says that he doesn't care about AI now, but that if AI was availible back in the 70s, he and Sam would go nuts with it. Which… I kinda get the frustrations of how limited the resources were back then compared to now, but it still rubs me the wrong way a bit.
– Bruce usually (and wisely so) doesn't talk about politics, but here he states that he loves Clint Eastwood's movies, even though he doesn't care about his politics. Which is kinda refreshing since Eastwood is (or at least was) a notoriously outspoken Trump supporter.
– This is the very first time I heard Bruce speak when he sounds genuinely old and at times out of breath to me. I don't know if it's the cancer, the fact that he really is getting older, or if it's just in my head, but it's not a good feeling either way. :(
 
BRUCE CAMPBELL talks Evil Dead Burn, Ernie & Emma & The Importance of Creative Freedom

Some highlights from the interview:
– Bruce wants to tour with Ernie & Emma in Europe, or at least in the UK, since it was so crucial in promoting the original Evil Dead. If he'd tour with the film in like Austria, Germany, or Poland, I'd definitely want to go. But with UK, I'm not sure if I'd be able to. We'll see.
– He says that he doesn't care about AI now, but that if AI was availible back in the 70s, he and Sam would go nuts with it. Which… I kinda get the frustrations of how limited the resources were back then compared to now, but it still rubs me the wrong way a bit.
– Bruce usually (and wisely so) doesn't talk about politics, but here he states that he loves Clint Eastwood's movies, even though he doesn't care about his politics. Which is kinda refreshing since Eastwood is (or at least was) a notoriously outspoken Trump supporter.
– This is the very first time I heard Bruce speak when he sounds genuinely old and at times out of breath to me. I don't know if it's the cancer, the fact that he really is getting older, or if it's just in my head, but it's not a good feeling either way. :(

He uses AI stuff all the time on his Instagram and Twitter, so I'm not surprised he feels that way.
 
Oh no. :(

Edit: I refuse to go check Twitter, but all I see on his Instagram are normal pics of cats and parks and streets, which is adorable actually.

Yeah, he loves using various Instagram filters and I think he's used some AI-enhanced pictures a couple of times on his socials. It's been awhile.
 
Bruce's Fall tour dates for Alamo Drafthouse theaters.

desktop-template-ErnieEmma-alamo.jpg
 
Coming oh so close to me but not close enough, woe!
 
I just realized. Ernie & Emma has been touring for some time now, so has anybody from the forum actually seen it?

I understand that a lot of us (or maybe even most of us) aren't from the US, but still.
 
Top Bottom