Evil Ash Mask, Army of Darkness Foam Latex Restoration

Swofty

Unseen Force
Staff member
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Tom Spina's company TOM SPINA DESIGNS has become the go to company if you own any rare foam latex etc screen used prop and you want it restored. They pride themselves on keeping as much of the original foam on a prop as they can and only then match the new materials seamlessly. They often contact and are friends with the original F/X artists who also want to see their work preserved and so work alongside Tom Spina and his crew to make that happen.

Evil Ash Mask, Army of Darkness Foam Latex Restoration​



Army of Darkness Deadite Movie Prop Mask Restore​

 
This is an incredible restoration job. Considering how quickly foam and latex deteriorate, it must be incredibly difficult to reconstruct what has been lost. I'm speechless.
 
This is an incredible restoration job. Considering how quickly foam and latex deteriorate, it must be incredibly difficult to reconstruct what has been lost. I'm speechless.
The sad thing is, both of these props will eventually inevitably deteriorate again, I'm sure you're aware. They were never built to last. At least Tom Spina admits that and multi coat seals his restorations to slow down the rot. That's all you can do with foam latex unless you freeze it.

I wish I'd paid more attention to a forum member here years ago when Tom Sullivan's foam latex cover Book Of The Dead DVD edition from Anchor bay was released. The forum member shared a secret to rub a certain type of oil onto/into the foam latex BOTD to delay it crumbling. I didn't pay enough attention on what type of oil that is and now mine's turning into dust.
 
Last edited:
The sad thing is, both of these props will eventually inevitably deteriorate again, I'm sure you're aware. They were never built to last. At least Tom Spina admits that and multi coat seals his restorations to slow down the rot. That's all you can do with foam latex unless you freeze it.

I wish I'd paid more attention to a forum member here years ago when Tom Sullivan's foam latex cover Book Of The Dead DVD edition from Anchor bay was released. The forum member shared a secret to rub a certain type of oil onto/into the foam latex BOTD to delay it crumbling. I didn't pay enough attention on what type of oil that is and now mine's turning into dust.
It depends on how you store it. My Evil Dead 1 and 2 BOTD editions are still intact after all these years.
 
Top Bottom