Going to do an Evil Dead: Hail to the King playthrough soon on Twitch

evildeaddude

S-Mart Clerk
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
IDK why but love this game and still play it from time to time. Going through a divorce and finding things to keep my mind stable. If you feel like checking it out here's my handle:
:)
 
Well the video came out terrible on WiFi lol but adjusted some settings so hopeful Disc 2 will look a little better next time...
 
DK why but love this game and still play it from time to time.

Hail to the King is a fun to play, and the camera angles and respawning Deadites were a pain to deal with... but they made a lot of advances in A Fistful of Boomstick with little things like making it so you could aim over your shoulder to see what is behind you. Sadly the series ended after Regeneration, and Evil Dead went into the dark ages until the 2010s.
 
I plan on replaying Fistful and Regen in the future but having fun revisiting the PS1 title
I found it pretty frustrating to play, even with using the PRIMA's official strategy guide but I appreciated the disorienting game play (the camera angles Nick el Ass has mentioned) was close to the spirit of an Evil Dead film so that was a brave move by the programmers at the time. I've still got printouts of the concept art for that THQ game but I'm more looking forward to playing the new side scroller old school looking platform game.
 
I will be playing that game soon myself. I still stand up for HTTK though because it was criticized so much but there is a certain way to play it that makes it fun. It's like I've said about it before; its the Evil Dead not the Forgiving Dead! ;)
 
I will be playing that game soon myself. I still stand up for HTTK though because it was criticized so much but there is a certain way to play it that makes it fun. It's like I've said about it before; its the Evil Dead not the Forgiving Dead! ;)
Yep. That game didn't ease you in gently or very much afterwards either so you didn't get many chances to catch your breath. It almost felt 'unfair' at some times but then that's Kandarian demons for you. I gave up trying to complete it sometime after the hillbilly cabin and during an end of level boss and that was with cheating with the guide book.
 
I've still got printouts of the concept art for that THQ game but I'm more looking forward to playing the new side scroller old school looking platform game.

I always wanted to see what it would have been like if THQ got a chance to make a sequel to A Fistful of Boomstick set in Japan since they had set it up perfectly, but in Regeneration we did get Ted Raimi as Sam... and Evil Dead does those asylum settings in stories very well. So it wasn't all bad even though they went bankrupt before Embracer and Nordic scooped them up which I'm afraid lead us to Evil Dead: The Game nearly 17 years later because they already owned/retained some rights to the franchise.
 
I enjoyed Evil Dead: The Game. I was one of the first to get 100% of the trophies and it was my 40th platinum on the 40th anniversary (intentional). Everyone thought I was crazy and had too much time on my hands but I was out on medical leave so had nothing better to do.
 
I enjoyed Evil Dead: The Game. I was one of the first to get 100% of the trophies and it was my 40th platinum on the 40th anniversary (intentional). Everyone thought I was crazy and had too much time on my hands but I was out on medical leave so had nothing better to do.

I still play it often despite taking months off here and there after they announced no new content a year ago, and I'm a few demon wins away from getting the final trophy... but damn the prestige grind for demon and survivor on that game is brutal.
 
I enjoyed Evil Dead: The Game. I was one of the first to get 100% of the trophies and it was my 40th platinum on the 40th anniversary (intentional). Everyone thought I was crazy and had too much time on my hands but I was out on medical leave so had nothing better to do.
No worries. I watched Ash Vs Evil Dead from a hospital bed. One of the staff there found me a link to it for my laptop. :p
 
Finally got my platinum trophy on Evil Dead: The Game, and really wish they would remaster the older Evil Dead games since they are remastering all the old horror based games including Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
 
really wish they would remaster the older Evil Dead games since they are remastering all the old horror based games including Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

I'd go nuts for a remaster of Hail to the King, but only if they go the Resident Evil 1 remaster route and actually keep the gameplay style intact, with all the switching between fixed camera angles. They certainly can – and definitely should – refine the controls and camera angles, but I really wouldn't be interested in something like the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes they did, in which they turned them into regular over-the-shoulder 3rd person shooter games where the camera is stuck to the characters and just follows them around all the time. I used to love the gameplay in Hail to the King and those '90s Resident Evil games specifically because it felt like playing a horror movie in real time, with the movie "editing" itself as you played it. As a movie fan, I always thought it was awesome.

Like @evildeaddude, I also have a nostalgic fondness for Hail to the King that I don't have for any other Evil Dead game. Yes, it's a very flawed game, but I still consider it a milestone in the Evil Dead franchise and in my personal relationship with it, as it was probably the first Evil Dead thing I saw that wasn't the movies or the Dark Horse comic adaptation. It might not be entirely accurate, but I always had the impression the game marked the transition of the Evil Dead franchise from this cult movie thing to a more mainstream, widely recognized property.
 
Last edited:
I finished hail to the king tonight but the stream was garbage both times. I'm guessing its an issue with using an emulator because my other streams look fine. so choppy 60% frame loss and disappointing but still had fun playing.
 
Top Bottom