"Ash Vs. Evil Dead" may return as an animated series, with Bruce willing to do the voice, if done!

https://www.cbr.com/bruce-campbell-evil-dead-franchise-more-movies/

"While it appears highly unlikely that Campbell won't return as Ash in live-action, he shared that an animated Evil Dead series is in the works, and he will supply his voice talents to the show. 'We are developing an animated version, like a series. I'll do that. I'll do Ash's voice all day long, because my voice hasn't aged as much as I have.'"
 
Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see where that goes.
 
Not sure how they are going to balance having an animated Ash vs Evil Dead show going on with 2 movies presumably scheduled for release in 2025-2026 and beyond, but this is different time than the dark ages of Evil Dead fandom when there was nothing going from 2004-2012 (or whenever they announced Evil Dead 2013) aside from Bruce randomly mentioning in interviews that Sam was working on a script.
 
an animated Ash vs Evil Dead show
Well, that's the thing: Bruce says they're at the pitching stage of the project, and doesn't know if STARZ is going to be involved. To me, it sounds more like it's going to be something in the vein of the Army of Darkness comics (Ash's solo adventures) than a continuation of Ash vs Evil Dead, especially since STARZ doesn't want another company to take the reins of AvED.
Not sure how they are going to balance having an animated Ash vs Evil Dead show going on with 2 movies presumably scheduled for release in 2025-2026 and beyond
"The funny thing is, the Evil Dead movies, the last one made $140 million, and the Evil Dead movies don't usually make that much money," he said. "They're cheap, so they don't have to make that much — but now that they're making real money, it's kinda hard to look away. And we want to do it — the last one was 10 years ago, Fede [Álvarez’s reboot] was 2013! So we want to get a little more of a pipeline for folks who still follow it, who want to see it. They want to see it in the new incarnation!" - Bruce Campbell (July 26, 2024)

It seems to be that their primary effort is going to be on the movies, at least for now.
 
I had a feeling there might be some kind of legal snafuage afoot. This might just be an Ash-in-the-future kinda thing, and we might end up with ANOTHER project with compromises canon thanks to Universal/Starz not wanting to play ball.

Sam, Rob and Bruce's influence on Rise was apparently light due to the pandemic if nothing else, so I'm curious to see how the next two movies will work.
 
I had a feeling there might be some kind of legal snafuage afoot. This might just be an Ash-in-the-future kinda thing, and we might end up with ANOTHER project with compromises canon thanks to Universal/Starz not wanting to play ball.
I have a feeling that's part of the reason they're not in any rush to get this off the ground like the theatrical films. I can totally see STARZ/Lionsgate saying "Ash vs Evil Dead was a ratings flop for us, we're not interested in doing a sequel".
 
Well, that's the thing: Bruce says they're at the pitching stage of the project, and doesn't know if STARZ is going to be involved. To me, it sounds more like it's going to be something in the vein of the Army of Darkness comics (Ash's solo adventures) than a continuation of Ash vs Evil Dead, especially since STARZ doesn't want another company to take the reins of AvED.

"The funny thing is, the Evil Dead movies, the last one made $140 million, and the Evil Dead movies don't usually make that much money," he said. "They're cheap, so they don't have to make that much — but now that they're making real money, it's kinda hard to look away. And we want to do it — the last one was 10 years ago, Fede [Álvarez’s reboot] was 2013! So we want to get a little more of a pipeline for folks who still follow it, who want to see it. They want to see it in the new incarnation!" - Bruce Campbell (July 26, 2024)

It seems to be that their primary effort is going to be on the movies, at least for now.


I had a feeling there might be some kind of legal snafuage afoot. This might just be an Ash-in-the-future kinda thing, and we might end up with ANOTHER project with compromises canon thanks to Universal/Starz not wanting to play ball.

Sam, Rob and Bruce's influence on Rise was apparently light due to the pandemic if nothing else, so I'm curious to see how the next two movies will work.

If they could get the entire franchise under one company it would make getting shit done so much easier instead of continuing to fight battles that doomed Evil Dead: The Game, and I want to see them bring the series together by mixing Bruce, Dana, Ellen, Ray, Jane, Lilly, Ted, etc... while also looking toward the future of it with the newer movies.
 
Posted yesterday:


"As for his future as Ash, 'We are developing an animated version, like a series. I’ll do that. I’ll do Ash’s voice all day long, because my voice hasn’t aged as much as I have.'

The animated series has been in development for a while, with Campbell having said that they were 'actively pursuing' the idea back in March of last year. He has also hinted that it could pick right up from the futuristic ending of the Ash vs. Evil Dead TV series."

Not much new, but...
 
How high of a priority do you think Raimi and the rest have for this upcoming animated series, with the movies they've been said to be working on too?
Bruce flat-out said that movies were the priority at this moment in time since that's where the money is at. That, and I was watching Andy Campbell's playthrough of Evil Dead: Fistful of Boomstick from a few weeks ago and even he basically said the animated show was kind of like a side-project they're not really prioritizing.
 
Any guesses as to when it might eventually come out? Or is there no way to tell yet?
I wouldn't even begin to speculate since I doubt we're going to hear anything about it between now and when the next movie comes out (around this time next year). Like Bruce has said right there in that interview (and what so many people elsewhere online have chosen to ignore) is that movies are priority since that is where the money is, and even when they have pitched this show to networks... nobody picked it up!
 
If I had to guess, 2026 or 2027. Animation takes time, this isn't a huge priority for them, so it'll pop up when they get distribution.
 
Evil Dead: We have an alternate universe for that.

I wish he and Sam weren't in an endless standoff with Universal over AOD over the Dynamite comics, all I really want is an animated version of Ash and the AOD.
 

How does everyone feel about this change update?
Not at all surprised. I am of the belief that when it comes to something from the world of Evil Dead... don't believe it is actually happening until you're sitting down to watch it.
 
This proposed animated series being its own thing actually gets me more pumped for it, as I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in a continuation of AvED in any way, shape or form (but I honestly doubt it will ever get made, be it as sequel to AvED or something else).
 
I'm personally in the camp of not being interested in it now due to it being not a continuation of AvED, and in general i'm just tired of being invested in Ash's story due to these legal situations that seem to always surround the character and him always resetting back to square one due to those legal reasons and them not being able to use previous characters in the series that played key parts in Ash's journey, i just don't feel it will be worth investing more time into a version of ash i know will likely never see a conclusive ending along with any of the side characters he brings along with him due to it probably not getting great viewership and getting cancelled and those characters end up getting locked in legal purgatory.

I just don't see it being worth the investment in my opinion and i really hate saying that as a fan of the character.

I really wanted to see what happened to AvED Ash, Pablo, Kelly and most certainly Brandy who only got 1 season, and see that journey continue with those group of characters and finish in a more conclusive and fleshed out manner then what we got with S3 rushed ending due to the looming threat of Starz cancelling them.

I think i'm just going to stick with the anthology films at this point, at least there i know i'm gonna get a conclusive story with the characters in those films then what i will get with another version of Ash.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom