Bruce Campbell Has Cancer

Kain

Captain Supermarket
Staff member
Joined
Jun 11, 2015
Location
NYC
‘Evil Dead’ Actor Bruce Campbell Says He Has Cancer That’s ‘Treatable’ but Not ‘Curable’: But ‘I’m a Tough Old Son of a Bitch’

“Evil Dead” star Bruce Campbell revealed Monday that he has been diagnosed with cancer, but he says that it is “treatable,” if not curable. Campbell said work will have to take a back seat while he’s being treated.

The 67-year-old actor posted a message to his fans on X, writing, “Hi folks, these days, when someone is having a health issue, it’s referred to as an ‘opportunity,’ so let’s go with that – I’m having one of those. It’s also called a type of cancer that’s ‘treatable’ not ‘curable.’ I apologize if that’s a shock – it was to me too.

“The good news is, I’m not gonna go into any more detail. I’m posting this, because professionally, a few things will have to change – appearances and cons and work in general need to take back seat to treatment. My plan is to get as well as I possibly can over the summer so that I can tour with my new movie ‘Ernie & Emma’ this fall.

“There are several cons this year summer that I have to cancel. Big regrets on my part. Treatment needs and professional obligations don’t always go hand-in-hand. That’s about it. I’m not trying enlist sympathy – or advice – I just want to get ahead of this information in case false information gets out (which it will). Fear not, I am a tough old son-of-a-bitch and I have great support, so I expect to be around a while. As always, you’re the greatest fans in the world and I hope to see you soon!,” Campbell wrote, signing off with “Much love.”

Campbell stars in and directs “Ernie & Emma,” a road-trip comedy about a widowed pear salesman’s journey to scatter his wife’s ashes. An early screening in Portland, Ore. is already sold out.

He first played Ash Williams in Sam Raimi’s “The Evil Dead” in 1981, then returned for “Evil Dead II.” Campbell serves as executive producer on the upcoming “Evil Dead Burn,” due in theaters in June.



:(
 
Last edited:
I'm devastated. He sounds positive and determined, though.
 
This man survived being tortured by Sam Raimi for like 50 years. You think cancer's going to do anything to him?

(yes I often do use sarcasm as a coping mechanism in stressful situations)
 
I had a feeling something was up when his last convention of last year was in early October. He's said multiple times that "Halloween is my Christmas", so I thought it was really odd that he went radio silent on all socials from then all the way past New Year's. I know he said that he was taking a break to work on getting distribution for Ernie & Emma, but it just had a weird vibe all around.
 
I had a feeling something was up when his last convention of last year was in early October. He's said multiple times that "Halloween is my Christmas", so I thought it was really odd that he went radio silent on all socials from then all the way past New Year's. I know he said that he was taking a break to work on getting distribution for Ernie & Emma, but it just had a weird vibe all around.
And now he's in a position where he should be promoting his new film… about death and loss. Oof…
 
I had a feeling something was up when his last convention of last year was in early October. He's said multiple times that "Halloween is my Christmas", so I thought it was really odd that he went radio silent on all socials from then all the way past New Year's. I know he said that he was taking a break to work on getting distribution for Ernie & Emma, but it just had a weird vibe all around.

He announced a hiatus on his socials for the rest of the year just before Halloween around then, which I thought was odd.
 
He announced a hiatus on his socials for the rest of the year just before Halloween around then, which I thought was odd.
Makes me look at the interview he did with Oregonlive about Ernie and Emma differently.

This is a relationship story. I think at its heart, it’s also a story about grief. I know a lot of people make stories about grief that comes from a personal place. Was this movie a personal movie for you in that way?

Yeah, very personal. But it’s not because Joe, my favorite uncle, died. It’s just a story of what happens when you get old. When you get old, people die. They get sick, they get cancer and they croak. And I just thought I’d pick a story where this is the guy who’s completely unprepared for what is happening to him, but his wife, who happens to have her s--- together, other than dying early, she’s got a plan for him. And so he discovers that late in the game and goes on this wacky journey of discovery with his dead wife. She’s going to make him crawl through a little bit of glass, she’s going to make him do things he wouldn’t have done, didn’t want to do, or wasn’t going to do. So, you know, it’s a growth story, too, and growth ain’t easy.

It sounds like a movie made by someone who’s been through therapy a time or two.

No, I’ve never been to therapy.

OK.

Why would you say that?

Because there’s a lot of, just like you said, it has a lot of growth, right?

Well, he’s not growing because he wants to. He’s growing because it’s forced upon him. So it’s a story that I was going to start by asking audiences, how many people here have lost a loved one? Raise your hand. Every hand is going to go up. It’s your little dog, Barfy, to your favorite uncle, so I think it’s a story people can relate to, and I’m about ready to start telling adult stories. I’m not really interested in teeny bop anymore. It just doesn’t appeal to me. I can’t relate to it. I think about dying. I think about death. I never really did before.

And nobody was going to finance this, I can pretty much guarantee it. So it’s like, let’s just do it ourselves. And plus nobody’s writing the big, fat part for guys like me, so let’s do it. My fingers ain’t broken. I’m a writer, right?

 
Last edited:
Makes me look at the interview he did with Oregonlive about Ernie and Emma differently.

This is a relationship story. I think at its heart, it’s also a story about grief. I know a lot of people make stories about grief that comes from a personal place. Was this movie a personal movie for you in that way?

Yeah, very personal. But it’s not because Joe, my favorite uncle, died. It’s just a story of what happens when you get old. When you get old, people die. They get sick, they get cancer and they croak. And I just thought I’d pick a story where this is the guy who’s completely unprepared for what is happening to him, but his wife, who happens to have her s--- together, other than dying early, she’s got a plan for him. And so he discovers that late in the game and goes on this wacky journey of discovery with his dead wife. She’s going to make him crawl through a little bit of glass, she’s going to make him do things he wouldn’t have done, didn’t want to do, or wasn’t going to do. So, you know, it’s a growth story, too, and growth ain’t easy.

It sounds like a movie made by someone who’s been through therapy a time or two.

No, I’ve never been to therapy.

OK.

Why would you say that?

Because there’s a lot of, just like you said, it has a lot of growth, right?

Well, he’s not growing because he wants to. He’s growing because it’s forced upon him. So it’s a story that I was going to start by asking audiences, how many people here have lost a loved one? Raise your hand. Every hand is going to go up. It’s your little dog, Barfy, to your favorite uncle, so I think it’s a story people can relate to, and I’m about ready to start telling adult stories. I’m not really interested in teeny bop anymore. It just doesn’t appeal to me. I can’t relate to it. I think about dying. I think about death. I never really did before.

And nobody was going to finance this, I can pretty much guarantee it. So it’s like, let’s just do it ourselves. And plus nobody’s writing the big, fat part for guys like me, so let’s do it. My fingers ain’t broken. I’m a writer, right?


I know at least part of that is Josh Becker and Scotty Spiegel passing one after the other, but man.
 
This may sound a littlebit selfish and/or tonedeaf. Of course I want Bruce to be able to spend as much time with his family and friends as possible before the end. That's the priority. But I also really wish that he'll be able to publish his final memoir.

I love If Chins Could Kill and Hail to the Chin, the former being my favorite non-fiction book ever. And I always liked the fact that Bruce thinks of these books as the first two acts of his life, with the third act still ahead of him. And I really hope that he'll be able to make this third book come true. And that his cancer will be just one bad chapter in it.

The fact that the cancer is supposed to be "treatable, not curable" doesn't make that last part very likely, but still. Who knows…
 
I know at least part of that is Josh Becker and Scotty Spiegel passing one after the other, but man.
Yeah, losing friends and family... and dealing with your own health issues out of the blue (been there over the last 10-12 years) has a way of making you question your own mortality.
This may sound a littlebit selfish and/or tonedeaf. Of course I want Bruce to be able to spend as much time with his family and friends as possible before the end. That's the priority. But I also really wish that he'll be able to publish his final memoir.
Recently read Hail to the Chin again, and chuckled when I read Bruce talking about growing lavender on his property and distilling it on a ranch owned by Steven Seagal and he has given us enough that I want him to do whatever the hell he wants while living comfortably surrounded by people who smell lovely because of his work in those fields.

w1500_55952801.jpg
 
Last edited:
OK, so this is kinda weird, but after the news of Bruce's cancer broke out, I saw lots of communities on Reddit talking about it – except for the Bruce Campbell subreddit. This specific subreddit was restricted, meaning you can only post there when the moderator approves it, and this moderator hasn't been active on Reddit for about 2 years.

So I requested to be appointed the new moderator of that subreddit and… now I am. So please fill free to check out https://www.reddit.com/r/BruceCampbell/ and make it worthy of the man!
 
I love that video so very much <3 He's been keeping his sense of humor up all over his socials!
 
Top Bottom